Technology is always changing, and web browsers are no exception.
There are many reasons why browsers change - the most notable being to keep up to date with the latest technologies and trends. This is why it's crucial that you make sure your browser is always up to date so that your web surfing is always consistent. Often, when a browser becomes outdated, you will start to notice things on the web not working or looking quite how they should or did before - this is because the browser no longer has the functionality to keep up with the modern technologies used by websites and programmes.
While it may seem daunting to some, updating your web browser and making sure it's always up to date is actually very easy. Take a look at our guides below to find out how to update your browser - we have included short tutorials for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (from Apple) and Opera.
- Tap or click the Tools button (or tap or click Help in the menu bar), and then tap or click About Internet Explorer.
- Select the Install new versions automatically check box, and then tap/click OK.
Opening the About Internet Explorer box will automatically check to see if there are updates and you will be given the option to update if it's out of date - remember to set automatic updates when you're done so you don't need to check again.
- Click the menu button , click help and select .
- The About Firefox window will open and Firefox will begin checking for updates and downloading them automatically.
- When the updates are ready to be installed, click
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- In the top right, click the Chrome menu .
- Click Help and about > About Google Chrome.
The current version number is the series of numbers beneath the "Google Chrome" heading. Chrome will check for updates when you're on this page.
Then click Relaunch to apply any available update.
Safari is included with OS X. To get the most recent version of Safari, install the most recent version of OS X from the Mac App Store.
To keep Safari updated for your version of OS X, install all available Safari and OS X updates.
- Click on the Opera logo in the top left corner.
- Scroll down to About Opera at the bottom of the menu.
- A screen will show with the details about your version will appear - it will automatically check for and install any available updates.
If you have any questions about your web browser, how to keep it up to date or anything else at all, get in touch with Cosmic and we'd be more than happy to assist you. You can phone us on 0845 094 6108, e-mail us on [email protected] or even send us a tweet to @Cosmic_UK.